Friday 19 February 2016

London Wetland Centre.



With a forecast of a few hours of decent weather on Friday morning I paid another visit to the London Wetland Centre at Barnes in the hope of catching up with a Bittern but it was not to be. Nevertheless there was still plenty of birds on view, both wild and captured species.


My southerly route towards the main reed-beds provided an opportunity to snap a few of the captive species including Hooded Merganser, Marbled Teal and White-headed Duck.


A male Tufted Duck

A scan over the flooded grazing marsh produced Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Cormorant, Wigeon, Gadwall, Pochard, Coot, Moorhen, Mallard, Teal, Canada Geese, a single Egyptian Goose plus numerous Northern Shoveler, many enjoying a preening session in the sunshine.




The centre which opened in 2000 occupies the site of the former Barn Elms reservoirs covering a total area of about 100 acres including open water, muddy banks, grazing marsh, some woodland and an extensive reedbed right in the heart of the south London urban landscape. Three quarters of the site was designated an Site of Scientific Interest in 2002.




My route back to the centre only produced one additional sighting, an over flying Little Egret. The northern part of the reserve has several hides overlooking the open water enabling decent views, albeit often distant of the ducks, gulls and and a much reduced number of Northern Lapwing.


My only raptor sighting was a male Sparrowhawk who made a brief appearance on one of the small islands and from the first floor of the Peacock Hide I spotted a male Pintail (below) in its elegant finery fortunately within reach of the lens.

Despite the lack of a Bittern sighting (again!) it was a joy to be out in the winter sunshine enjoying our native wildlife. FAB.

Linking to Saturday's Critters and I'D-Rather-B-Birdin' 

19 comments:

  1. I like the ducks. Such beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful captures! I LOVE the Tufted Duck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an incredible place this is! I looked up their website and am sending the link to my daughter and her hubby since they will be in London in October of this year. They'll really enjoy this place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That male pintail is a thing of beauty, Frank. Nice series of shots of all the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the images especially the tufted. So glad you had sunshine today. We did too but it's gone til later next week. Ugh. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Frank.
    I must say that your last three postings hAve some really good images. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely series of photos of some beautiful birds :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful selection of birds seen at the Centre. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That hooded merganser looks like an axe murderer

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are wonderful. I especially enjoyed the tufted duck, looks like he has a bit of a mohawk going on there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A veritable feast of bird life!
    What a great wetland - I'm off to google just where it is.
    Wonderful that a city as large as London has a wetland.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haven't been to Barnes for .. erm about 4 years... so pleased to enjoy it through your eyes Frank..

    ReplyDelete
  13. If a particular bird doesn't show up for us, I figure it's a good thing sometimes...gives us an excuse to go out another day. As you say, be outdoors and enjoy nature and its beauty!! Speaking of beauty, your bird photos certainly are. [the marbled teal is a new one for me!!]

    Sorry I'm late getting around to visit with you this weekend. I was gone all day yesterday....birding, of course!! Thanks for joining in by adding your valued link of your fantastic post!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Frank!:)Glad you had a sunny day for a change!:) Lovely series of shots. My favourites are the Hawk and Pintail.:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, what a great nature center and outing. Wonderful sightings of the ducks and the Lapwings in flight. Awesome series of photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Sunday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous birds! I love the hawk.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great images, Frank. You always make me hopeful that I will seek out "water birds"!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails