Thursday 10 July 2014

Fences and Gatekeepers.


Yesterday morning a very heavy downpour disrupted my intention to join another butterfly walk so on my journey back home I stopped off at another location and after the rain eventually abated I took a stroll around this field. Fortunately the landowners don't mow right up to the fence line so nature is allowed to flourish along the margins. Linking to Good Fences.

Field Poppies just about holding their heads up after a recent drenching.

The fences here have friendly openings allowing access to the view beyond and whilst initially it might look rather barren below is just a sample of the wild flora and insects that I passed as I wandered the field edges beyond the gate.


Beyond the first field the trackway leads me to yet another gateway and a different view southwards down the valley.



Nearby were fresh coloured Gatekeepers (Pyronia tithonus) also known as the Hedge Brown. This attractive little 'flutter' often frequents lanes and hedgerows broken by sunny gateways plus open woodland, scrubby downland and heaths where there is shelter and an abundance of tall vegetation.


Emerging in early July, the Gatekeeper is the last of the common and widespread species to appear each year and its appearance is a sure sign that summer is moving towards the equinox.

 Agrimony bending to the weight of the wind and recent rain.

So the moral is ... if you don't proceed beyond the fence or gate you may never know what hidden gems lie beyond.  FAB.

15 comments:

  1. Wow, you always have the most dreamy photos. Sorry about the rain, for that day of butterfly fun, but what spectacular photos at the end. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you found a bounty even along the edges! love the rural scenes and the 'gatekeepers'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The butterflies are outstanding Frank, and all the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! The detail you captured on the butterfly is amazing! What lovely finds in spite of the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well your time wasn't wasted because of the rains at least Frank. You came upon some beauties here and I really enjoyed the nature happening

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Frank Great number of great fences in this post and a wonderful Gatekeeper. I am on the I.O.W. at present adn today I was out with my friend from here and we explored meadows and saw quite a number of butterflies that I would not see at home. I was delighted

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shot of the poppies after the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WoW, what a beautiful series of pictures!! I love the first image, making weeds look beautiful!! Since you missed your walk, you might enjoy a series of butterfly images I posted a few days. I took them at the butterfly house in Hershey, pa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That last quote is so true! Thank you for sharing these marvelous photos of that beautiful countryside Frank. It was a great pleasure to look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a beautiful blog! Gorgeous photos! Thank yoy for stopping by my blog!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  11. A feast for the eyes this evening viewing all your gorgeous images. Love that fence, the poppies and yes I agree, one must venture past a fence or gate to see what is beyond it. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful captures!!! LOVE those Gatekeepers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely shots of the Gatekeeper Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Gatekeepers are so pretty!! I wish they'd find a way to migrate "across the pond". Beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for a lovely tour with greenery, fences and so much more!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails