Sunday 25 October 2009

Whichford Pottery Visit (Part 2)

Following on from my previous post I thought I would share some other images from around the pottery. First up are some of the pots in the sales area awaiting a new home. Here is Andy, one of the senior throwers, pulling 56lb of clay into the required shape. The technique once learnt is apparently never forgotten and I never fail to be inspired when watching his skillful hands at work. I must admit to trying my hand at throwing a very small longtom many years ago but Andy says I must return when I have more time and really get my hands dirty. Can't wait for the opportunity.
Here Anita is passing her critical eye over the glazed-ware display.
The pottery is well known for producing many other objects other than flowerpots and this is just a sample of the various animals that are made by using moulds.
Jim Keeling is known for his innovative work and here are some examples of some of the statutes that grace the pottery grounds.
Last but not least, some examples of the plantings around the pottery that help to inform and inspire visitors on how pots can be used in and around the garden. I will definitely need some inspiration when deciding what to plant in the two pots that they presented to me last week.
Thanks again Whichford Pottery....and in those immortal words..."I will be back". FAB

12 comments:

  1. I like the animal moulds. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I didn't know you could throw a pot that big!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie. You could have an Owl or Duck etc. in the garden all year round AND it wouldn't need feeding!

    Steve B. What I forgot to explain was that to produce an even bigger pot they make it in 2 halfs and join them together...now that take accuracy & skill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...I'm drooling over all of these pots, and I love the shot of him throwing the pot. My gosh...you could get lost in that thing! I'm happy when I can throw a soup bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelly. I thought you might enjoy this post. Soup bowl is ok, everyone has to start somewhere, mine was a 6 inch tall pot that ended up only 3 inches high!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 56 pounds of clay is quite a feat and your friend does it soooo well. How nice! I would love to visit this place..so many yummy pieces of clay work..eye candy to the clay artist!!
    A nice presentation EB, Loved these posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing place Frank. I could spend hours wandering round there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Real quality products from what I can see Frank.
    Goodness, FAB metamorphosing into the Terminator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great walk through pottery land that you provided us with. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tina. Thanks, I always find something to drool over when I visit.

    Keith. If the opportunity crops up I'll take you there.

    Roy. Definitely top quality.

    Mona. Glad you enjoyed the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that pottery looks like a fantastic place to wander for a couple of hours just to take it all in. There's a factory about an hour away from here that makes various clay bits for industrial consumption, and they used to have a store open to the public where they sold garden items like this, but they closed down several years ago, and now I have no idea where to go to find pots and clay items on a scale like this. Such a shame. Oh, and those 2 pots that they made for you a quite smart looking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Heather. Sorry to learn that your local pottery outlet has closed down. If Whichford was closer to home (currently over 2 hours drive away) I would be there every week just to soak up the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails