Friday 10 April 2009

Run up to Easter...Birds & Blooms.

A very hectic working week preparing for a much hoped for busy Easter weekend trading resulted in very few opportunities to seek out our local wildlife.
However I did manage a brief visit to 100 Pound Bridge (Bookham Common) on Thursday morning before starting work but the weather had changed from sunny to damp overcast so no real chance for any decent photos. Yellowhammers, Chaffinch & Goldfinches were flitting in and out of the hedgerow and Lapwings again displaying over the fields as I approached the car park. On the common bird song was far more obvious, than any actual sightings, with Song Thrushes and Blackbirds clearly announcing their territories. I had brief sightings of two male Blackcaps plus at least 12 Chiffchaffs heartily singing. Numerous Magpies were perched at various locations and the occasional Crow flew overhead plus one distant Kestrel. Dunnock, Robin, Wren, Jay and a Great-spotted Woodpecker were also seen and I thought I heard a very brief call from a Cuckoo far away. Finally a silent Mistle Thrush appeared high above me and although the light was terrible I managed one half decent snap as it moved from branch to branch not wanting to be photographed!
The colour in my garden is taking on a much greener hue with leafy growth on trees and shrubs responding to the warmer weather. Whilst the blooms on some bulbs (early Narcissus & Leucojums) are fading other delights are taking their place such as Erythronium 'Pagoda' sheltering underneath a shrub ....
...... and taller Tulips planted in large containers.
The Hellebores continue to provide a strong display having seeded beyond their original planting location beneath a Lilac - that's nature doing it's thing.
At home in the garden this week we still have regular visits from a pair of Great Tits, Blue Tits, Dunnock, Rose-ringed Parakeets, the resident Robin, Collared Doves, Feral Pigeons, Blackbird, Starling and the very greedy Greenfinches are quickly devouring the seed from the feeders.....
....and we are still being visited by the pair of Long-tailed Tits. I managed to get a few decent photos late today so will hopefully include them in a future post.

Finally, to all the "Earlybirders" I extend both my thanks for your continued interest in this blog and to wish every visitor a HAPPY EASTER.

16 comments:

  1. It was a dull old day today indeed Frank. Seems our respective Mistle Thrushes deliberately sit up high to taunt us and our cameras!!

    Like the Flora and the LT Tit - lovely birds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You keep on posting Frank and I'll keep on coming back - happy easter to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are wonderful as always. Some of those birds I've never seen before, so thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a good Easter, Frank and Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Easter to you too. It's always a pleasure coming here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures Frank. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Easter to you and your family.

    I do enjoy your post, and your visits to my blog. So continue on. Greenfinches? Never heard of them, but they must eat like the Goldfinches from what you said.

    Leedra’s Photos For Fun

    Leedra’s Greeting Cards

    Photography By Leedra

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your bird photos. I've never seen any of those. Your Tulips are beautiful!! Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Easter to you too Frank. Judging from the pictures of your garden on the path, I have a feeling you have a true Engligh Garden! I can't wait to see more as they are my favorite gardens of all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Easter to you too Frank.
    Hoping to get out myself tomorrow, and unwind after a week of work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A Happy Easter to you also, thank you! I always enjoy reading about your bird walks...very cute Long-tailed Tit (stylish in black and white!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely shot of the Long Tailed Tit, my favourite bird. Regards Phil

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely photos again Frank, and a very good list of birds observed.
    The view up your garden path looks very tantalising, lots of goodies there I'm sure. Glad you managed to get the Mistle Thrush.
    I wish you and yours a Very Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy the hols, mate. Hope you can get out over easter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks everyone for the nice comments. No change in the weather today (Sat) but hoping to get out & about tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kim & Jan, I'm glad you like the garden & I will endeavour to show you more as the season develops.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails