Monday 9 May 2016

Troglodytes troglodytes.


On any of my walks it would be very unusual not to encounter this small active brown bird with its cocked tail often just announcing its presence with its loud voice before promptly disappearing into deep cover.

The [Eurasian] Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes), otherwise known as 'Jenny Wren' is our commonest UK breeding bird, although it does suffer declines during prolonged, severely cold winters. Currently the local population is in very healthy.

The scientific name is taken from the Greek word "troglodytes" (from "trogle" a hole, and "dyein" to creep), meaning "cave-dweller", and refers to its habit of disappearing into cavities or crevices whilst hunting arthropods or to roost.

Click below to check out its remarkably loud voice: 


If there are any problems with the sonogram here is the direct link: http://www.xeno-canto.org/313805


This individual was very obliging during a recent early morning stroll around Castle Hill LNR.

Linking to:
Through My Lens
image-in-ing
Wild Bird Wednesday

25 comments:

  1. Some times hard bird to photograph but these are great shots Frank. Loved hearing the sound. Can I ask you, is it Ok to publish that or is there a copyright on it? I know they a are cracking down on people using thei copyright photos etc and I would love to use sounds in my post but never know if I would be breaking the law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Frank,love your first image,lovely detail.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My language has a difficult name to pronounce for foreigners (winterkoninkje) I think it's such a cute birdie. Thank you for sharing these photos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!!!..
    marvelous photos of this little bird..

    ReplyDelete
  5. He looks like our Carolina Wren. I love the wrens. Hope your weather warms up soon. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful captures of the most charming of birds.
    I love having them in the garden, although they are very shy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty little fellow! Isn't it amazing how loud these little guys are, too?>
    Thanks for linking up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-cats-of-san-juan.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really great wildlife shots. Thank you for linking in with "Through My Lens".

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  9. A big voice indeed - and attitude to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute birds and very loud indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, it is a cute wren. I love to hear their loud sounds. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Big voice for such a cute thing!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such pretty wrens ...and amazing voices. I've heard about the scientific name for wrens before, but it always surprises me, because I think of that word as an insult...as in telling someone that they think like a caveman!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great to find one obliging enough to stay still long enough to be photographed. I keep trying to video the one which often sings on top of my hedge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Frank!:) First rate images of this cute little wren.

    ReplyDelete

  16. Cute bird!
    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photos! The Eurasian Wren is common also here in Finland.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this little "Jenny Wren"...how sweet. I love learning the Greek name too, and hearing its sweet song. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jenny Wren is a good name for this one. :) It reminded me I have a few images but not as good as yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Frank
    very close as you get shots brilliant, great details can be seen thanks to the super sharpness of images, very nice pictures series.
    greetings frank

    ReplyDelete
  21. Many thanks for all your visits and complimentary comments. It could be some time before another Jenny Wren is that obliging!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A wondrous and smallish bird with a grand voice. Great photos, Frank!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails