Friday 6 May 2016

All Fenced In.

When I visited my local birding patch early this week this was the scene that greeted me. The posts have been erected and electric tape strung between them to act as a barrier for the cattle that will shortly arrive as part of the annual land management scheme. 

Unfortunately this means that my previously 'free' access is now restricted to the static gateways and 'squeeze' openings unless I grow some longer legs! 


This season they have extended the fenced area to include a small part of the woodland boundary presumably so the cattle will trample and grub out some of the unwanted undergrowth.


Not very much has changed in the way of bird life except I monitored a few more Common Whitethroats flitting in and out of the dense scrub and logged my first patch sighting for this year of a Garden Warbler.

With the increase in greenery this migrant 'LBJ' was difficult to lock onto as it moved around in-between bouts of singing and feeding. 

I often hear the 'yaffle' of a Green Woodpecker but they typically fly off as soon as they detect an intruder getting too close. Fortunately I managed a quick shot before this individual (below) moved into hiding behind the tree trunk.




In the past few weeks this gate, where I often watch the large gatherings of winter thrushes in the paddocks of one of the local riding stables,  has gained some additional woodwork presumably to deter unwanted guests.





The stables also use a system of tape fencing to cordon off separate sections for the horses and one of the taller posts was being used by a Mistle Thrush.



The gate above is where I listen to Skylarks singing and also provides an excellent viewpoint over Rushett Farm to look out for soaring Common Buzzards and the occasional fly by of a Red Kite. This week the young cereal crop was being sprayed and not too far away I spotted my first Speckled Wood and was also pleased to see that the Lapwings (possibly 3 or 4 pairs) are still defending their nesting territories from the large population of resident corvids.

Linking to:
Good Fences
I'D-Rather-B-Birdin'

13 comments:

  1. lots of fencery abounds. :) i'm glad they let the cattle graze to reduce the overgrowth instead of just mowing and pesticides. lovely birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank, what big changes! Too bad about the fence restrictions. Good thing those birds have wings! They can fly to wherever they want to! I love the woodpecker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the mistle thrush photos...such a beautiful bird

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely section of birds in the countryside. I have never seen a Green Woodpecker in a tree only down on the ground but of course wwe do not have them here in N.Ireland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your patch has a great variety of birds, lovely photo of the Warbler, they are difficult to catch aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh well, at least they are putting the fence up for all of the right reasons and not just to keep people out! I am still waiting for the weather to improve so I can see some more butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, great outing! I love the Green Woodpecker, Thrush and the Lapwing. Awesome birds and photos. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should see me trying to get through the double kissing gate at RSPB Langford with my bicycle

    ReplyDelete
  9. That little Green Woodpecker is priceless, Frank...it never ceases to amaze me what wonderful shots you get!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  10. A green woodpecker....that's a new species for me. Fantastic images. As are your photos of them all---the woodpecker, the lapwing and the thrush.

    PS...love the fencery too.

    Thank you very much for sharing this post with us birders at I'd Rather B Birdin'

    ReplyDelete
  11. So now its an Obstacle Course as well as a Nature walk Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to see the different birds and fencing. To bad that some of the area is being blocked off but hopefully you'll still see plenty of birds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's interesting to see cattle used as a management tool in this way.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails