Friday 20 May 2016

A New Project.


Views over the fields where I have recently agreed to carry out a series of farmland bird surveys over the next few years as part of a small team of BTO volunteers covering a number of farms forming part of a large estate in Surrey. The survey results will assist the tenant farmer and the land owners to monitor and evaluate their ongoing efforts to improve the farmed environment for wild pollinators, farmland birds and other wildlife under the Countryside Stewardship Scheme. 

The first of two fields forming my survey area is already showing signs of its flower rich status.

During my first early am visit this week I recorded 19 bird species mostly seen, heard or flying around the field boundaries; including Goldfinch, Jackdaw, Stock Dove, Common Whitethroat and Woodpigeon that constitute five of the 19 target species included in the scheme aims. It will be interesting to see what other species are noted during future visits throughout the year.

  Above are Common Whitethroat, Magpie, Chiffchaff and Song Thrush.

Looking into a piece of woodland bordering the lower field there was still a decent show of Bluebells and some Early Purple Orchids.

The inhabitants of an adjoining field were typically curious about the unexpected wanderer on the other side of the hedgerow as was the Robin below.

Linking to:
Saturday's Critters

9 comments:

  1. there certainly isa lovely selection of birds on that farm and thaat should be a very interesting project Frank. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting project! Among other things it will bring a lot of pleasure to you and us, your subscribers =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the project goes well - I'm sure it will.
    I love that robin!
    Such a lovely selection of images you have shared here, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, the project sounds like fun. The farmland birds are pretty. You saw a nice variety of beautiful birds. My favorites are the Thrush and the Robin. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found myself in a field of young cows who decided I was the farmer bearing food, and began to chase me. Was rather worried I'd be crushed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great project I will pursue it in any case continue
    greetings frank

    ReplyDelete
  7. Classically English by the look of it - what a hardship to have to study that place!!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful fields for your project. I love the curious cows.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails